How do I file a complaint?

Download and print a Consumer Complaint Form.

Complete the entire form and attach copies of all documents pertaining to the complaint. Important documents that need to be included are:

  • Inspection reports
  • Service agreements
  • Escrow instructions
  • Deposit or payment receipts
  • Other documents pertaining to the complaint

Alterations made to any area of the structure involved in the complaint may severely limit our ability to determine if a pest control company or licensee has violated any Board laws and regulations.

Once the complaint form is completed and the documentation is attached, mail the complaint to:

Structural Pest Control Board
2005 Evergreen Street, Ste. 1500
Sacramento, CA 95815

Any owner of a property, the owner's agent, a registered pest control company, or a licensee may file a complaint. Complaints may be filed against both pest control companies and pest control licensees.

Complaints within the Board's jurisdiction include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Infections or infestations missed or not reported after an inspection
  • Unlicensed activity
  • Poor workmanship or repairs not performed in accordance with trade standards
  • Failure to complete work
  • False or misleading advertising

An intake representative initially reviews complaints received by the Board to determine whether the complaint is within the Board’s jurisdiction and ensures all documentation is provided. If the complaint is within the Board’s jurisdiction, the complaint is accepted and will be assigned to a Consumer Services Representative (CSR) and a desk investigation will be initiated. If the complaint is not within the Board’s jurisdictions, the complainant will be notified and/or referred to the proper agency.

Once a complaint is accepted, a letter from the Board will be sent to the licensee and/or company. Companies are given fifteen business days to submit a response to the Board. Upon receipt of the company's response, the CSR evaluates and reviews the company's response to determine if it is in accordance with the Structural Pest Control Act and is sufficient to resolve the complaint. If the response appears insufficient, the CSR discusses the steps necessary to resolve the matter with the company. The complainant is then notified of the company's response and the CSR attempts to mediate the complaint.

The Board cannot assist consumers with complaints made against insurance companies, real estate agents, or contractors. If the Board receives one of these types of complaints, it will be referred to the proper agency with jurisdiction over the matter.

Pursuant to Section 8621 of the Business and Professions Code, complaints against a licensee or registered company must be filed with the Board within two years of the alleged improper activity. Complaints involving allegations of fraud must be filed within four years.

If a CSR is unable to mediate between a consumer and licensee, the case may be referred to a Board Specialist to perform a field investigation which will include an inspection of the home/property to render a determination of liability against the licensee.

If the violations are serious, the Board may take action to suspend or revoke a person's license or a company's registration. If a disciplinary action is undertaken, the state Attorney General represents the Board to prosecute the case. The Attorney General is not counsel for the complainant, but counsel for the Board.

The Board is a licensing and administrative law enforcement agency, and we have no jurisdiction over money matters. We cannot compel a pest control company to refund money, waive fees, or pay for expenses incurred by a third party for the repairs, treatment, or replacement of items. We can only enforce the company to make corrections and repairs as obligated by their contract.

California law requires registered companies to file a $12,500 surety bond with the Board. The Board can help consumers take the appropriate action(s) to file a claim against the pest control companies bond.

If you are considering legal action to recover damages of $5,000 or less, you can consult a clerk at the California Superior Court. If your damages are more than $5,000, you should consult with an attorney.

For additional complaint information, please call the Board’s Enforcement Unit at (916) 561-8708 or email at